Saturday, 14 July 2012

Hucknall Tn 3-2 Lincoln City Yth

Saturday 14th July 2012 - pre-season friendly

The Brett Marshall era at Watnall Road began with a friendly game against Lincoln City's talented youth team, and the Yellows were probably worth the win - although the young Imps look a very, very good side.

The team sheet was all over the place, so knowledge gained here and there helped with goalscorers etc.  One of Lincoln City's legends was sitting close to us, Tony Cunningham there to watch his son Karl in action.  It was Cunningham that opened the scoring half way through the first period, his shot from the edge of the box wrong footing keeper Jason Fisher who could only watch it creep into the net.

It was 2-0 to the Imps on 28 when Kieran Walker finished off a superb move with a cracking side foot volley from 12 yards that gave Fisher no chance.

Hucknall had started the game with the prolific Julian Topless and Karl Slack up top, but they were kept relatively quiet by the Lincoln defenders.  It was though, a defensive lapse that let the Yellows back into the game 10 minutes before the break.  The keeper collected well from a corner, but his throw to his left back was intercepted, and when the ball was fired back into the box,  Topliss was on hand to stretch out a leg and neatly volley home. 

The scores were level right on half time - Theo Ganderson collected the ball on the edge of box, controlled well, turned and hammered a shot past the keeper before he could react! H-T 2-2

As we entered the ground, we were greeted warmly, as usual, by Brett.  He's just got back off his hols, and was looking good!!  We have agreed to sponsor Brett for the season - and handed over a cheque to Steve Peat - hopefully it's worth at least mention for the blog in the Yellows matchday programme!!

Old friend, new Town Vice-Chairman Brian Reece stopped by to say hello .. Brian has to go into hospital next week - our thoughts are with you Mr. Reece.

Also spent time with bloggers Nick " Sticky Palms" Palmer and Adam "Mind of an Imp" Barlow -  Adam was slightly the worst for wear after sampling a few before kick off!!! Brian Dennett was also at Watnall Road after his team, Carlton Town, had their game with Ellistown called off.  Blidworth's Scott Ward came and stood with us for a while - his team had played Radford earlier in the day. Scott lit up a cigarette - and was prompty chastised by a steward  - I found this quite amusing as the steward looked to be only about 14 !!

Within three minutes of the restart, Hucknall completed the turnaround - Joel Goodacre found room in the box and cleverly dinked the ball over the Lincoln keeper at his near post.  The constant changes of personnel spoiled the second half somewhat, but the Hucknall players showed the Watnall Road faithful who turned up that they can play a bit! 

On 67, Lincoln were awarded a penalty after a clumsy challenge in the box.  Hadlee Dunn did well to save Jordan Thomas' kick - although he was committed to diving to his right, the keeper stuck a long leg out and deflected the ball way from the goal.

Finished 3-2 to Hucknall, and on balance you would have to say they were worth the victory, but with the players on show in this game, the future at Sincil Bank certainly looks bright. 

Admission £5
Programme £0.50 -- not the best, but at least the team sheet was free!
Attendance  TBC