Saturday, 21 July 2012

Basford Utd 6-2 Shepshed Dynamo

Pre-season friendly played at a very sunny, and very warm Greenwich Avenue.

Didn't predict that result when selecting this game! After Basford had slaughtered Pinxton, then struggled against Blidworth in their previous two games, this was an intriguing fixture, to say the least....

Didn't know too much about Chris White's Shepshed team - but quite a few of the Basford starting eleven were at Greenwich Avenue last season.

United : Jake Want, Ben Moore, Joe Pheasant, Martin Holt, Martin Lench, Theo Smith, Tian Walton, Darren Garmston, Jarrod Westcarr, Carl Westcarr, Aiden Brady.   Bench:  Martin Carruthers, Craig Armstrong, Curtis McDonald, Tommy Kemp, Ashley Dyce, Wayne Jones (apologies if I missed anyone)!!

Shepshed were lead by Rob McCormick, and we also recognised Tris Whitman and Justin Jenkins - but that's about it!

Nice to be in bright sunshine - hopefully something we will have to get used to in the near future, if the weather forecasters have it right...we'll see.

I actually took a few notes during the game - the operative word being "few"! But we met Basford's top blogger Pete Ray during the break : his report and pics will be found on his superb Non-League Bodging blog.  

The first half hour saw Basford doing most of the attacking, but on 33 a needless trip on the corner of the Basford penalty area gave Dynamo a free-kick - and Kieron Walker punished the error in full by firing the ball home off the inside of the far stick.

The lead lasted barely two minutes though. After a free kick in to the box at the other end of the pitch was collected well by Carl Westcarr, the striker turned and volleyed past the Shepshed keeper - great technique from "Westy".  H-T 1-1

Changes were made by both teams throughout the second period, and the game became a little disjointed for a while.  We had to wait until the 71st minute for the next goal, and it came from Martin Carruthers who rounded the keeper before slotting home, after Joe Pheasant's ball from the back had ricocheted into his path.  

Again the lead lasted barely two minutes - Shepshed's skipper Rob McCormick's spectacular overhead kick looping over Curtis McDonald. The big keepers first action after coming on was to pick the ball out of the net!

McCormick was forced to retire from the action soon after, and his presence was sorely missed as United went on the rampage in the final 15 minutes.

The home team went back in front after 76 minutes. When Aaron Hooton's shot crashed off the bar, the rebound was hammered at goal by Carruthers, but his effort was well blocked by the keeper. Unfortunately for Dynamo, Tommy Kemp was on hand to volley home the loose ball.   On 86, Hooton saw his shot blocked, but Ashley Dyce was quickly onto the rebound, and smashed it gleefully home.

Hooton then made it 5-2 in the final minute when he chipped the keeper from the edge of the box after he was played in from the back. 

Jarrod Westcarr hammered in the final nail in Dynamo's coffin just seconds later - more good play from Hooton and Carruthers setting up the chance.  F-T 6-2

Admission £2
Attendance - head counted 70