Saturday, 15 September 2012

Basford United 1-0 Holbeach United

Saturday 15th September 2012 - F.A. Vase 2nd QR kick off 3:00pm

Winner gets £700.00

Selected this game when the draw was first made, and as it turned out it was a good choice. Even though we only had the solitary goal, the performance of all three teams was superb – ironically, when praise is due to the officials, I don’t have a clue who they were!!!!

Basford: MacDonald, F Smith, Pheasant, Dyce, Gregory, Jones, T Smith, Garmston,  Hooton, Carruthers, Brady. Subs J Westcarr, C Westcarr, Harrison, Lench, Francis.

Holbeach: Overton, Allen, Griffiths, Treacher, Brown, Stevens, Flack, Stupple, Tidswell, Harris, Parker. Subs: Elston, Warfield, Jackson, Smith, Palmer.

A changed line up for the home team as they faced their step 5 opponents, opponents who had played five league games in the UCL, and won the lot. Anthony Gregory was in at centre-back alongside Ashley Dyce – Joe Pheasant and Fabian Smith made up a solid looking back four, and they had to be solid, because at times the pressure from Holbeach was intense……..

A decent turnout on a smashing sunny Saturday afternoon, ought to be more coming through the turnstiles though - Basford United have a great squad, and are playing some really good stuff.

The home team attacked straight from the kick off and were ahead in just the third minute - before Holbeach had had the time to settle.

Theo Smith raced down the right and fired the ball to the near post. Darren Garmston fired the ball at goal, but his effort was blocked - hit-man AARON HOOTON saw his chance and smashed the ball wide of Lee Overton and saw it bulge the back of the net.

Blew the pics up and cropped them - don't usually bother to do this, but Kev captured this goal so well it is well worth seeing close up.

After the goal went in, the visitors really turned the screws on the Basford defensive line, and won corner after corner, but Dyce didn't miss a header and was unflinching in the defence of his goal. H-T 1-0

On 54, Holbeach almost levelled through Robbie Harris, his curling effort just clipped the outside of Curtis MacDonalds far stick.  Two minutes later, Carruthers was played in on goal after smart interpassing by Theo Smith and Hooton. Overton was quick enough off his line and challenged the striker cleanly, clearing the danger.

Seconds later, a Basford attack broke down and the ball was cleared some 40 yards from goal.  40 yards or not,  Darren Garmston saw Overton off his line and drove the ball back at goal, just missing the target by just a few feet!!

Basford should have wrapped up the victory on the hour mark, but Hooton could only fire wide after Garmston's mazy, solo run and cross picked him out 15 yards from goal.

As the game reached it's final minute,  we caught up with Basford's General Secretary Chris Munroe - he was like a cat on a hot tin roof and he said he'd never been as nervous as this at a game. His nerves were in a worse state as the game entered it's third minute of added time - MacDonald could only punch a free-kick away, managing only to send the ball to the edge of the box.  Not too sure, but we thought it was Derwayne Stupple who fired the ball at goal from the 18 yard line. The effort looked in all the way, but MacDonald flew like superman to tip the effort over the bar. The ensuing corner was cleared and after 5 minutes of added time, the excellent Referee call proceedings to a close! Phew! F-T 1-0

Cracking game - make no mistake, Holbeach are a good team. This was a victory that the Basford players and officials should savour.........

Admission £5
Programme £1
Attendance TBC