Saturday, 4 August 2012

Gedling MW 0-1 Graham St Prims

Saturday 4th August EMCL kick off 2:57pm

The start of the 2012-2013 season - started our travels with the short journey to Plains Road, hoping to see if the pre-season Gedling MW optimism was unfounded or not. Well - the Miners played well enough, but despite constant pressure on the Prims' goal throughout the game, the visitors took all three points by converting one of their only two chances created in the first half.

Tony Hay gave us a sneak preview of the 2012-13 programme layout on Tuesday, but we had a surprise when we got to the ground -- the Dynamic Duo were on the front cover !!!  Nice one, Tony!!!

After the usual handshakes the game kicked off in bright sunshine, although there was a little rain in the air. Prims' striker Kyle Smith was injured after just 90 seconds, and hobbled on until the 12th minute before he had to be replaced.

The visitors had the first decent opportunity just after the substitution had been made, Tom Rushby beat a sloppy Gedling off-side trap, and his toe-poke looked goalbound until keeper Lance Walker got fingertips to the ball and steered it wide of the post.

Kieron Wells had a decent chance on 18, but although he connected well with Greg Marzano's cross, his flicked effort flew just wide of the post.

After 39 minutes had been played, and most of them in the Prims half of the pitch, the visitors took the lead, totally against the run of play.  Kevin Brookes appeared to lose Matt Adcock, and the Prims no. 7 raced into the box and fired at goal. It appeared at first that Walker had made a great save, but the ball looped up  into the air off his legs before dropping over the goal-line.  H-T 0-1

Had our usual complimentary cuppa during the break - we are always treated like old friends whenever we visit Plains Road - a big thank you to the Welfare committee....

Wells almost levelled the scores in the first minute of the second half, but his diving header went just wide. Welfare made two changes with 10 minutes of the second half played - Sam Simms replaced by Danny Pass, and Luke Stanley by Liam Corrigan. Will Heath then came on for Greg Marzano after 63 minutes as the home team went in search of the equaliser.

Gedling thought they had scored on 70, but although Ashley Whitt had bundled the ball home, Pass and Wells had been adjudged to have fouled keeper Chris Whiteley as he came for the ball.

Corrigan's throw in seconds later was played by Wells to the far stick - but although Chris Hall stretched well, he could only manage to divert the ball wide of the post.  Wells than saw his superb drive crash off the upright, and when he raced through on goal on 79, he picked out the unmarked Hall, but the midfielder tamely fired the ball  into Whiteley's grateful arms.

Prims almost added to Welfare's misery with 4 to play. Ross Coxon was played in on goal and after he side-stepped Walker he fired at the empty net - only to see his effort hit the post and bounce back into play!

Hall had another chance to salvage a point for Gedling just before the final whistle, racing clear but firing just wide. F-T 0-1

Not the best start to the season for the Welfare, but they will play worse than that and win....

Admission £4
Programme £1
Attendance 89