Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Clipstone Welfare 0-3 Hucknall Town

Pre-season friendly played at the Lido, Clipstone. Kick off 7:45pm.

Not been to Clipstone for a while, so I would like to offer them belated congratulations on their promotion to NCEL Div 1.

Didn't know many of the Clippo players, and a few of the Hucknall squad were unknown to me as well.  Kev wasn't able to make this game, so for the first half I was a bit of a "Billy" again, although Town boss Marshall came and had a few words throughout the half.  He said he was looking for a couple of goals and a "cleanie", so he should be quite happy with the result and the performance.

The second half was spent in the company of former Stag Lee "Wils" Wilson and Sutton Town AFC's current keeper Gav Saxby.   I have to say that these pair are real gents, and they know more about the game than I ever will - and I've been watching football for 45 years now.....!

Hucknall's starting eleven : Fisher, Baugh, Austin, Nightingale, Hayes, Carty, Ludlow, Hatfield, Snowdon, Ganderson, Leggitt.  Subs I knew..  Slack,  Dunn,  Slawson, Allen, Brown, Dennis Smith, plus three or four who I didn't get names for.

Theo Ganderson had a great chance in the eighth minute, forcing Simon Smith in the Clipstone goal to tip over.  On 19, Ganderson showed what he was capable of when the mood takes him. The striker collected the ball inside his own half and ran at pace towards goal, before firing a neat shot into the net across the despairing dive of Smith.

Corey Nightingale was withdrawn after 25 minutes after suffering a knee injury. Rob Austin was moved to the centre of the defence, with James Leggitt slotting in at left back, and Jamie Brown coming on to take Leggitt's place on the left wing.

Marshall rang the changes early - I suppose with having so many players present, time on the pitch was going to be limited for some players.  Ganderson and Snowden were replaced up top by former Arnold player Mitch Slawson, and former Hucknall Rolls striker Harry Allen. Allen's role was cut short some 10 minutes into his appearance, after he suffered what appeared to be a very painful leg injury. H-T 0-1

The Yellows doubled their advantage on 51, somewhat fortuitously it has to be said!  Brown chanced his luck with a fierce drive that flew over everyone in the 6 yard box -  Kyle Ludlow though, managed to retrieve the ball on the line and when his cross back into the box found Warren Hatfield, the midfielder looped a cracking header over Smith and into the net.

Town added a third on the hour mark, Mitch Slawson staying strong and holding off the challenge from his marker as he raced at goal. The trialist slid the ball past the advancing Welfare keeper with some ease.

Town made several more changes - but they didn't get a long stay on the pitch because it was getting very dark, and with the floodlights lacking electricity, the Referee had no choice other than to call it a day with 68 played. F-T 0-3

The first half was a bit patchy for the Yellows, but it was pleasing to see Ludlow and Hatfield showing a bit of form.....the second half was much better - a pity it all had to end so early!!!!

Admission £2
Head counted 85