Saturday, 18 August 2012

Basford United 8-0 Ibstock United

EMCL - Saturday 18th August 2012 -- kick off 3:01pm

There were plenty of decent looking games to go to, but after seeing quite a lot of Basford last season in the CMFL, and watching a few pre-season games, we just had to be at Greenwich Avenue for the first home game of their EMCL campaign.

Not a bad choice, as it happens! And it gave us chance to catch up with our assistant referee friend Nikki Hammond. What a nice, pleasant young lady.

There have been a lot of improvements to the venue, and the pitch was a picture. Striped and marked to perfection, cut like a bowling green, and the new goal nets the finishing touch.

We saw Ibstock at Gedling on Tuesday and they conceded five -  the let five in during the first 30 minutes in this game!

Basford : McDonald, Dyce, Kemp, Holt, Pheasant, Francis, Smith, Garmston, Hooton, Westcarr C, Brady.

Ibstock : Exton, Lovett, Brown, Harrington, Rowell T, Adams, Tarry, Dunlop, Rowell P, Cresswell, Price.

Basford looked sharp from the get-go, and had their first chance in just the third minute when Theo Smith fed Aaron Hooton, whose clever back heel was well collected by Dan Exton in the Ibstock goal.

We didn't have to wait too long for the first goal though - on 13, Tommy Kemp's great through ball picked out CARL WESTCARR, and the striker calmly side-stepped Exton before sliding home.

Westcarr slides home 1-0

6 minutes later, Westcarr was found by Hooton in the box, but although Exton did well to parry his effort, HOOTON had continued his run and was on hand to tap in the loose ball. 

HOOTON was on the mark again on 22, volleying home from 18 yards after he pounced on an Aiden Brady cross. With 28 played, HOOTON completed his hat-trick - tapping in at the far stick after Westcarr's run had caused mayhem in the Ibstock area.  11 minute hat-trick - not bad!!!

Hooton volley 3-0

Hooton at the far post 4-0

On the half-hour mark, JOE PHEASANT powered home a Kemp right wing corner to make it 5-0, then in the 38th minute, another Kemp corner was headed home by HOOTON, the striker rising salmon-like to beat Exton to the ball. H-T 6-0

Pheasant header 5-0

Hooton header 6-0

Basford gaffer Daz Saunders took off Martin Holt at the break, replacing him with Craig Armstrong, and changing the successful 4-4-2 to 3-5-2. The game went a bit flat as Basford tried to adjust to the new formation, although Smith had a great shout for a penalty within seconds of the restart - Referee Aidan Murphy must have felt a bit sorry for Ibstock - it was as clear a penalty as you will see.

Ibstock acually found more space to play in, as Basford seemed to have called it a day - and we had to wait until the 75th minute for the next Basford goal - but it was well worth waiting for. MARTIN CARRUTHERS had replaced Hooton earlier in the half, and when he raced in from the left wing there seemed little danger - until he kept going, and going, before firing past Exton. Superb solo effort, Gandi. CARRUTHERS ended the goal feast 6 minutes later, beating Exton in a race to the ball and prodding home.
F-T 8-0
Carruthers makes it 8-0

Great all round performance from Basford, who after 3 games in the EMCL remain unbeaten. Mind you, Ibstock were poor, and their record of 3 played, 3 lost, 16 conceded and only 2 scored doesn't bode well for the Leicestershire outfit for the rest of the season. Click here for the EMCL table.

Admission £4
Programme £1
Attendance 51