Sunday, 11 November 2012

Plough Barflies 1-3 T8's

Sunday 11th November 2012 - Notts Sunday League Premier Premier.

Since I recently rediscovered the delights of Sunday football, this fixture was one I didn't want to miss - the local derby of all local derbies, the Plough and Harrow pub and T8's winebar are a mere 200 yards apart on Hucknall High Street. The players all know each other so well, and this looked like it could be a cracker of a game.

There were over 125 people in attendance on this bright, warm Sunday morning, but it was a little difficult to know who to count and who not to count, as the dugout area was populated by over 50 bodies!!!

Only one person per team standing lads!!!!

At 11 am, two minutes silence preceded kick off - a silence well observed as all present remembered the fallen.

Barflies had the first chance of the game in the 6th minute, but Ricky Hodgson's effort was well saved by T8's keeper. Damien Mann tried his luck soon after, but the 20 yard effort from T8's winger flew harmlessly over the bar. 

The opening goal came on 26, and Barflies keeper Matt Innes can consider himself unlucky when he caught a 22 yard free-kick from CHAY BETTERIDGE. The effort was caught cleanly but the momentum carried the keeper and the ball over the line.  I was standing about 10 yards from the goal, and the ball was clearly dragged into the net by Innes - Referee Liam Jones gave the goal, but how he was able to call it I have no idea, he was on the edge of the box.  It mattered not  - the goal was given - much to the chagrin of the home faithful. Mr. Jones must have some balls to have made that call, but despite all the protests and effin and blinding, the goal stood, quite correctly.

A few heated minutes followed with three players receiving yellow cards in quick succession for rash challenges. Richard Harrison almost brought the home team level on the stroke of half time, but his neat flick flew just past the outside of the post.
H-T 0-1

Mann saw his fierce drive well saved by Innes on 50, but Barflies were still looking to level and went so, so close in the 76th minute when Dave Marlow's header crashed onto the bar, dropped down and hit the post before being hooked clear.

T8's were awarded a penalty a few seconds later when Kyle McDermott was fouled as he charged in on goal. ANDY START stepped up and beat Innes comfortably from the spot to double the away teams lead. 

START was on the mark again four minutes later, his 20 yard looping shot cleared the advancing Innes and dropped sweetly into the middle of the goal.

Barflies had the last word though, ADAM SOLOMAN volleying home from 6 yards. Despite looking suspiciously off side as the ball was  played in, the goal stood. F-T 1-3

Enjoyed the game, the weather was kind, the banter great - I reckon I'll be watching a game most Sunday's from now on....