Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Heanor Town 3-2 Maltby Main

Wednesday 3rd October 2012 - NCEL Premier Division : ko 7:46pm

We arrived at the Town Ground just as the teams were being announced, meaning I didn't get chance to jot them down.  To be honest, I wasn't too bothered - just fancied a no pressure game with no notes and no twitter.

Turned out to be a pleasant evening in the company of Chris "Tall Lad" Dent and Trev Bailey, the owner of Kirkby based Bailey's Coaches. Been stuffed a couple of times recently has Mr. Bailey - one or two local fooball clubs failing to honour debts apparently.

As I mentioned no notes taken, other than those I scribbled down when a goal went in. 

The first half an hour saw Heanor cruise into a 3-0 lead courtesy of two NATHAN BENGER headers, and a 22 yarder from STEF FROST.

The first Benger goal came with just nine minutes played -  a right wing cross met by a delicate header from the no. 9 that entered the net off the far post.  Not a lot the keeper could do about it, but I think he will be a little disappointed with Heanor's 23rd minute second goal, after he and one of his defenders comically left the ball to each other allowing Stef Frost a shot at goal from 22 yards. The shot was arrow straight and never looked like deviating from it's path into goal.

On the half hour mark, a Jason Foster corner from the right flew across the goal to the far stick where Benger stooped low to nod the ball just inside the post. Three-nil and cruising - but slack defending allowed Maltby back into the game on 34, ROB BRANAGAN given space and time to run across the Heanor goal before slotting home. H-T 3-1

Maltby kept up the pressure on the Heanor goal as the second half progressed - the home team had completely lost their shape and had to fight hard to keep out the visitors. One effort from the Maltby no. 15 from 10 yards out not only cleared the bar, but flew way over the stand into the road ! 

Heanor held out until the 90th minute when a free-kick in from the left was headed powerfully home by centre-half Matt Plant. A few tense added minutes followed, but the home team held on for a victory that their first half performance probably merited.  
F-T 3-2

Admission £5
Programme £1
Attendance 95