Monday, 8 October 2012

Basford Utd U19 8-0 Maltby Main U19

Can't resist my Monday night fix now -- especially when you don't know exactly what is to be expected from the game. This was a League Cup tie, but looking at the league table, this game should have been a home banker. I'd been told that Maltby were struggling, having only scored two goals in four league losses while conceding 17, but at this age group anything can happen. Sadly for the visitors, the game went to form with the home team scoring four in each half without reply.

Basford were in the lead after just 90 seconds had been played - KYLE KEETLEY picked up a pass from the midfield before running into the box and slotting past the Maltby keeper.

On 10, right back Charlie Cotterill tried his luck from 20+ yards and although the keeper parried the drive on the line, the ball popped out of his hands straight to the feet of JACK HODSON, who gleefully prodded home from all of 2ft....

JACK SMITH hit the home teams third in the 35th minute, a speculative 30yard lob/shot that looped over the keeper before nestling in the back of the net.

Maltby couldn't offer much in the way of attacking football, but I was informed by one of their players' parents that the team are mostly 16 year old, while Basford's lads are more or less all in their final year at U19 level, so were fitter, stronger and were had more experience under their belts. It was four nil with two minutes of the half remaining, HODSON heading in from a corner. H-T 4-0

Referee Craig Langton had had a fairly quiet, uneventful half and left the field with a smile on his face - that wasn't to last!!!!!!

DAN JACKSON netted the next goal for Basford in the 48th minute, slotting through the keepers legs after he found himself one-on-one inside the box. JACKSON scored again on 55, showing terrific close ball control in the area before rounding the keeper and rolling the ball into the net.

LUKE WELLS added the seventh after 64 minutes, nodding home from close range. Seven minutes later the peaceful, friendly game turned a bit nasty and it all began with a disputed penalty award.  Neat ball play on the goal line by Valentino Chibbaro was too much for a defender who blatantly clipped the subs heels. Mr. Langton's assistant appeared to flag for a goal-kick, but it appears the foul was made before the ball went out.

The Maltby players and management weren't able to accept the decision, despite being seven down at the time. Their no. 3 was cautioned for his protests, and even after WELLS had successfully dispatched the spot-kick the protests went on, and on and on!

One of Maltby's management team was dismissed after he went apoplectic, ranting on about this and that -  in the end Referee Langton obviously lost patience with the man.  A few mistimed, reckless challenges followed as the players seemed to forget about the beautiful game and became more intent on injuring each other. The Maltby no. 3 made one too many rash challenges with just 5 minutes to play, and gave the Ref little option but to show a second yellow.

After the game had ended, the Officials left the field looking slightly shell-shocked at what had happened in the final 20 minutes. Mr. Langton is a vastly experienced Referee, but when he walked past me going to the changing rooms, he looked stunned and said " wow, I never expected that!"  After such a quiet first half, it was a bit of a surprise, but as I said earlier in the piece, you never really know what to expect at this level !!  F-T 8-0

Admission £2 with programme
Attendance - H/C 26