Sunday, 3 February 2013

Plough Barflys 3-2 Old Colonial

3rd February - at Rolls Royce Welfare - kick off 10.32am

Notts Sunday League Premier good they named it twice!!!

Was going to watch Nuthall take on T8's originally, but that game was postponed as Nuthall were playing in the Cup, so ended up watching the Barflys again.

Some of the home team players played in the Linby CW team that we saw defeat Nottingham Utd on Saturday, namely  Mike Banister, Chaz Niblett, Terry Henshaw and Tom Coupe.

Flys had a couple of decent chances early doors, but on 19  keeper Aaron Wilby failed to clear as he raced out of his goal, handing Colonial striker SCOTT LITCHFIELD the simplest of chances and the no.9 took full advantage, stroking the ball into the empty net from close range. 

Colonial went further ahead with 37 on the clock, LITCHFIELD hitting a free kick form the left into the box. The ball sailed into the area where it eluded everyone, defenders, striker and keeper, before nestling in the back of the net. 

The Flys were back into the game within 60 seconds of the restart. MICHAEL BANISTER is an accomplished defender, but when he played for me at youth level, he was a prolific striker. He was asked to play centre-mid in this game and when he found room 22 yards out his goal scoring prowess returned as he smashed a screamer past the visiting keeper.  H-T 2-1

Birthday boy Brian Dennett had joined me for the first half, but he had to shoot off to see his family so missed the Flys completing a terrific fightback.

They were level on 55, and it was that man BANISTER again on the mark, controlling well before dispatching the ball over the keepers outstretched arms. 

Flys went ahead for the first time in the game two minutes later, a quickly taken Banister free kick picked out Ross Cheeseman who in turn fired the ball across the goal into the path of Jonty Bradshaw who finished well.

The home team defended well as Colonial strove to grab an equaliser, but after five minutes of added time, Referee Liam Jones' whistle thankfully brought proceedings to a close! F-T 3-2

Attendance  - only a dozen or so brave souls braved the biting wind!!

Next up - U19 action as Basford United entertain Buxton FC at Greenwich Avenue.