Saturday, 23 February 2013

Hucknall Town 1-1 Lincoln Utd

First point for the Yellows this year, and only the second goal - but overall a cracking performance by Town!

No settled team for Hucknall recently, but the newest batch of players did well to contain United - and with a bit of luck and a bit more composure in front of goal, they could have took all three points.  Great debut from Michael Yates in goal - saw Michael playing for Blidworth early in the season, and Greenwood a few weeks ago. A big step up for the big lad, but he produced a few good saves and took several knocks keeping the United attackers out. 

Not a very good turnout but this wasn't, on paper at least, going to be a classic. Turned out to be a very good game between two teams struggling at the wrong end of the table. 

Hucknall had several attempts at goal early door, but the shots hardly troubled United keeper Phil McGann. Yates on the other hand had to be at his best in the 10th minute to keep out Cunningham's effort from an Aaron Rice corner. The loose ball was smacked against the bar and eventually booted out for another corner. This time Rice's kick was met on the corner of the 6 yard box by the head of BRENDAN McDAID, the United skipper left totally unmarked for some reason or other. That was McDaids 100th goal for Lincoln - well done, Sir!!

McDaid (out of shot) heads past Yates to give Lincoln the lead

Warren Hatfield saw his header deflected for a corner on 16 as Hucknall looked to get back on level terms. Chris Freestone had a header saved by McGann after 20 minutes, then soon after, Dennis Simms saw his shot collected well by the visiting keeper.

On 41 minutes, Gio Carchedi crashed a shot off the post with Yates well beaten, and the half ended with McDaid heading home again, only for his effort to be disallowed after Referee Harty saw some pushing in the box. H-T 0-1

The home team levelled the scores seven minutes into the second period. Anthony Rowley made a superb run down the left, and after he jinked his way into the box, pinged the ball into the 6 yard box where DENNIS SIMMS was on hand to smash home Hucknall's second goal of the year...marvellous!!

Simms levels for the Yellows

Hucknall were really up for it now, and Freestone almost put them ahead on 56, but his 40 yard speculative drive was well tipped over by McGann. 

Yates was Hucknall's saviour again on 72, diving at the feet of Scott Coupland and blocking superbly. Hatfield played a magnificent ball into the path of Mitch Slawson seconds later, and even though Slawson controlled well enough, he wasn't able to get a shot off before McGann was able to close him down. F-T 1-1

Michael Yates blocks Coupland

Admission : season ticket
Programme : £1.50
Attendance : 108 (?) - looked a lot more than that...

So at last - a point in 2013 but caution needed - this wasn't a top team in the division. Hopefully next Saturday the Yellows can surprise Newcastle Town and claim those oh so vital three points....

MOM for Hucknall - the whole team

MOM for United - Aaron Rice - looks a good 'un!!!

Left back Aaron Rice