Saturday, 8 December 2012

Heanor Town 3-5 Bridlington Town

We missed Bridlington's previous visit to the Town Ground when they ran out 0-7 winners, so this seemed like it might be a great chance to see in form Heanor gain revenge, and in doing so knock the League leaders down a peg or two. It was not to be, alas!!!

The pitch looked in really good nick despite the recent inclement weather, but the surface didn't help the players during their pre-match kick in!  They managed to clobber one old bloke good and proper, then seemed to pick the poor sod out again, only missing him by a few feet on more than one occasion!!

The game began in bright sunshine, but even though it was a chilly afternoon the players gave us a great action packed game. Unfortunately it was a little too cold to take many notes, so it may be best to go to the clubs respective websites for a fuller report.

The game was barely three minutes old when Brid took the lead, NATHAN COOK nipping into to poke the ball through Damien Clark's legs after the keeper had failed to hold onto Tom Fleming's weak ball into the 6 yard box.

It was 0-2 just six minutes later when Nico Degirolamo gifted the ball to the visiting 10, who rounded Clark before picking out JOSH GREENING for a simple slide home.

Heanor kept attacking despite the early setbacks, and their pressure paid off when NATHAN BENGER was allowed room to fire a rocket into the top corner from the edge of the box. Keeper Mark Wilberforce made a despairing effort to reach the ball, but the shot was so well placed he had little chance of getting anywhere near to it.

On 37, the home team pulled level, IAN CLARKE firing home through a ruck of players after superb wing play down the left by Gary Webster. H-T 2-2

Bridlington had a chance to retake the lead within seconds of the restart Clark again failing to control, but fortunately for the keeper, the travellers striker failed to capitalise.  Clark was beaten again though on 51, a CARL STEWART low drive from distance beating the keeper's full length dive.

Bridlington were awarded a penalty for a trip in the 58th minute, and although Clark managed to keep out the original spot-kick, the ball ran loose to NATHAN COOK who gleefully rammed it home.

The final Bridlington brought applause from both sets of supporters - it was a superb solo effort! JOSH GREENING collected the ball and raced down the left flank before cutting in, seeing off all challenges and dinking the ball past Clark. Well worth the entrance money!!!!

Heanor had the last word in stoppage time though, GARY WEBSTER allowed space to run in from the right and hammer a bullet shot past Wilberforce. F-T 3-5

Some of the Heanor fans were having a pop at Referee Andy Newbold, but to be fair the official had a decent game and both me and Kev failed to understand what the bitching was all about.

Admission £5
Programme £1
Attendance 116