Saturday, 29 December 2012

Eastwood Tn 0-5 North Ferriby Utd

With games being called off on a very regular basis, it was a question of where will there be a game, and where has the better shelter from the elements!  Thought about Calverton v Blidworth, but not much cover there and no hard standing to speak of.

Kev was watching the Florists, so I almost didn't bother at all, but  pleased I made the effort - it was good to be back at Coro Park. I caught up with some old friends, and even though the game was another defeat for the home team, the scoreline flatters Ferriby a little.

The Badgers played some good stuff, but got caught out time and again with breakaway attacks. These breakaways proved to be very expensive, as the home defence seemed incapable of reorganising quickly enough after losing their shape while on the offensive.

Arrived at Coro Park hoping that the game was still on, but the pitch although heavy, looked perfectly playable. Greeted by John Farmer, former CML committee member and true Gentleman. 

Met up with Scott Annable inside the ground. Scott is a dedicated Stags and Eastwood fan - he was at this game as the Stags game v Grimsby had been called off. 

Didn't recognise many of the Badgers, but having a team sheet, kindly provided by Mr. Farmer,  helped no end. This was a top v bottom clash, and when the full time whistle had blown, those places hadn't changed.

North Ferriby had ex-Stag Ryan Williams on the left, with ex-Nailer Anthony Wilson leading their line.  Top striker Gary Bradshaw was on the bench - always rated Bradshaw, a player that really knows where the back of the net is!!!

Grantham management team Gary Sucharewycz, Ali Asher and Ian Robinson stopped for a quick chat, as did top sports physiotherapist Fred Kirk.

Nice to catch up with Paul and Maurice MacFarland, and spent the second half in the company of Eastwood Town / Derby County fan Mark Storer.

Ferriby's first dangerous attack came after only 6 minutes, and saw Ryan Kendall's shot force a fingertip save from home keeper Richard Stainsby. Four minutes later though, Stainsby was picking the ball out of the back of his net. Wilson raced into the box and took time to pick out RYAN WILLIAMS eight yards from goal, and the diminutive winger composed himself well before blasting the ball home. 

CHRIS BOLDER doubled Ferriby's lead on 18 when his fierce, low drive flew past Stainsby. The keeper did get a touch to the ball, but it was struck so well that he really had no chance of keeping it out of the net. 

Liam King had a shot saved by Stainsby seconds later, and the keeper had to be alert to keep out Bolder's header on 40.  H-T 0-2

Gregg Simmons almost halved the home teams deficit on the hour mark, firing just wide after Lavell White had picked him out in the box. 

Eastwood were by now showing more attacking prowess, but when Chris Shaw's ball was intercepted on 63, it was played to RYAN KENDALL, and the no.10 ran into the box and side-stepped Stainsby before slotting calmly home. 

In the 82nd minute, Bradshaw collected a ball in from the right and played it wide left to RYAN WILLIAMS who fired across Stainsby to make it four. 

Another breakaway in added time saw KENDALL add to Ferriby's total - a neat shot fired across Stainsby from the left hand corner of the penalty area.  F-T 0-5

Great to see so many "old" friends again, and even though the game wasn't a classic, it made a refreshing change from what we have been subjected to at Watnall Road recently!

Admission £9
Programme - courtesy Samantha Demetriou
Attendance 131

Referee Geoff Law handled proceedings very well,  just a couple of bookings. Has to be said though that both teams gave Geoff a relatively easy game, and despite the attrocious conditions, were a credit to the league.